How Much Does It Really Cost to Develop Shopify Store?
- 6 Minutes to read
Table of Content
- How Much Does it Cost to Develop a Shopify Store?
- Why Hire a Dedicated Shopify Development Company?
- FAQs on Cost to Develop Shopify Store
When trying to create an eCommerce store, you can opt from a bunch of platforms, like WordPress (with WooCommerce), Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, and more. All of these platforms can help turn your eStore vision into a shimmering reality. But which one of these platforms would be suitable for your project?
Well, statistically speaking, one of the most sought-after platforms by the top eCommerce development companies is Shopify. This popularity stems from its ease of use, scalability, security, reliability, app ecosystem, marketing prowess, and more. But when creating a website, one of the most common considerations is the cost of the platform. So, how much does it cost to develop a Shopify store?
Well, the cost of building an eCommerce store through Shopify depends on a bunch of factors. Let’s take a look.
How Much Does it Cost to Develop a Shopify Store?
As with any development process, creating the eStore with Shopify involves several elements. And each of them swings the costs one way or another. So, let’s see how the different elements of Shopify eCommerce development control the cost.
Shopify offers a tiered subscription system, each plan providing access to different features and functionalities. Each of these plans is available at different prices. Let’s look at the different Shopify plans.
- Ideal for beginners or low-volume stores.
- Supports 2 staff accounts and 40 GB of storage.
- 2 online sales channels and 3 product variants per item.
- Transaction fee: 2.9% + 30 cents per sale.
- Suitable for growing businesses with higher sales volume.
- Supports 5 staff accounts and unlimited storage.
- 5 online sales channels and 5 product variants per item.
- Transaction fee: 2.6% + 30 cents per sale.
- Designed for established businesses with significant sales volume.
- Supports 15 staff accounts and unlimited storage.
- 15 online sales channels and unlimited product variants per item.
- Transaction fee: 2.4% + 30 cents per sale.
- Custom-priced plan for large enterprises with high-growth potential.
- Offers advanced features, dedicated account management, and scalability.
Start with a plan that’s suitable to your current needs and budget. You can easily upgrade your plan as your business grows.
Theme & Design
Themes control how your website appears to the customers. They attract customers, showcase your products effectively, and ultimately drive up sales. Here are a few different options to consider:
- Free Themes: Shopify offers a few free themes with basic layouts and features. These are a good starting point for budget-conscious stores, but customization options are limited.
- Premium Themes: The Shopify Theme Store boasts hundreds of premium themes with diverse styles, functionalities, and price points (ranging from $30 to $300+). Consider factors like your industry, brand identity, and desired features when selecting a theme.
- Custom Themes: If you crave a completely unique look and feel, consider hiring a Shopify developer to create a custom theme. This option offers maximum flexibility and control but comes with the highest cost (ranging from $1,500 to $20,000+).
When choosing a theme or template for your Shopify store, consider factors like mobile-friendliness, high-quality visuals, clear navigation, and brand consistency.
Apps & Integrations
Shopify offers over 7000 apps to help you add powerful features and functionalities to your eCommerce store. That extends the capabilities beyond the core. Now, as far as the cost of development goes, there are different types of apps and integrations:
- Free Apps: A wide range of basic apps are available for free, covering functionalities like customer reviews, social media integration, and shipping calculators.
- Paid Apps: Premium apps offer advanced features like marketing automation, loyalty programs, product customization, and abandoned cart recovery. Prices typically go from $5 to $50+ per month.
- Integrations: Connect your store with external tools like email marketing platforms (e.g., Mailchimp), accounting software (e.g., QuickBooks), and fulfillment services. Some integrations might incur additional fees beyond app subscriptions.
The cost of Shopify store development depends on the number of apps, their pricing models, integration fees, and bundled plans. Make sure you check the reviews and ratings, explore free trials, and even seek expert advice when choosing the apps and integrations.
Development & Customization
Shopify offers a user-friendly platform and various tools. But sometimes, you need additional development or customization to bring your unique vision to life. The development may be about doing minor edits, integrating advanced features, or even adding unique design elements. That controls the cost significantly.
- Developer Rates: Hourly rates for Shopify developers vary depending on experience, location, and project complexity. Expect rates to range from $20 to $100+ per hour.
- Project Scope: Clearly define your development needs and desired outcomes to ensure accurate cost estimates from developers.
- Complexity & Time: More intricate features and extensive customizations take longer to develop, leading to higher overall costs.
- Maintenance & Ongoing Support: Factor in potential costs for ongoing maintenance or future updates to your custom development work.
Make sure you assess your needs and compare quotes from the top Shopify development companies. Also, clearly communicate your vision, budget, and expectations with the developers.
Content & Product Listings
Content and product listings influence customer perception and ultimately drive sales. These elements might not directly involve development costs. However, the tools and experts charge according to the quality and effectiveness. The content includes product descriptions, titles and meta descriptions, category page and landing page, blogs and articles, FAQs, etc.
The cost considerations with respect to content and product listings include
- Internal Resources: If you possess writing and editing skills, creating content yourself minimizes cost.
- Freelance Writers & Editors: Hiring freelancers for content creation can go from $25 to $200+ per hour or project, depending on experience and complexity.
- Content Marketing Agencies: Agencies offer comprehensive content creation and marketing strategies at higher costs, typically starting at $1,000+ per month.
- Stock Photography & Videography: High-quality product photos and videos elevate your listings but incur costs depending on the photographer/videographer’s rates and production needs.
Remember, investing in high-quality content and product listings is an investment in your store’s success. Through informative, engaging, and visually appealing content, you attract customers, build trust, and drive sales in your store.
Other than these stages, there may be additional costs and charges depending on your requirements from the store. To get the best idea on the same, you can consult with the best Shopify development companies.
Why Hire a Dedicated Shopify Development Company?
One of the major factors in the cost to develop a Shopify store is whether you do the work yourself or hire a dedicated service provider. So you may think, why not develop the website myself rather than investing in a service?
While that could be an excellent idea, based on your technical proficiency, let me take you on the flip side. Let me tell you why it might also be a good idea to look for the best eCommerce development companies, preferably those that specialize in Shopify.
- Deep Shopify Knowledge: Dedicated developers possess an in-depth understanding of Shopify’s functionalities, best practices, and potential pitfalls. They can navigate platform intricacies and build your store efficiently, saving you valuable time and frustration.
- Advanced Customization: Experienced developers can tackle complex customizations, unique features, and intricate design elements that might be beyond your technical capabilities.
- Integration Prowess: They seamlessly integrate your store with essential business tools like email marketing platforms, payment gateways, and fulfillment services, ensuring smooth operations and data flow.
- Delegate and Offload: Free yourself from technical complexities and focus on core business activities like marketing, product sourcing, and customer service. Hiring a company lets you delegate development tasks and optimize your time.
- Faster Launch: Benefit from their expertise and streamlined processes, potentially launching your store quicker than tackling development yourself.
- Ongoing Support: Enjoy peace of mind with readily available support for maintenance, updates, and future adjustments, ensuring your store stays functional and secure.
- Professional Design & Functionality: Leverage their design skills and development expertise to create a visually appealing, user-friendly, and high-performing store that converts visitors into customers.
- Reduced Risk of Errors: Minimize the risk of technical errors and security vulnerabilities through their knowledge and adherence to best practices.
- Scalability and Future Growth: They can build your store with scalability in mind, preparing it for future growth and adapting to your evolving business needs.
Ultimately, the decision to look for recognized Shopify development companies depends on your specific needs, budget, and technical expertise.
The cost of developing a Shopify store can vary greatly depending on various factors. Basically, it’s all about how extensive you need the customizations on your store to be. Based on that, your development costs will go higher or lower. But a basic store will cost you anywhere from $500 to $2000.
The factors that control the cost are:
- Shopify Subscription
- Theme & Design
- Apps & Integrations
- Development & Customization
- Content & Product Listings
For more information on the cost or help with the online store, our recommendations on the Shopify development companies might be helpful.
FAQs on Cost to Develop Shopify Store
1. Are there any ongoing costs associated with maintaining a Shopify store?
Yes, maintaining a Shopify store does have ongoing costs. These typically include monthly fees for the Shopify plan and transaction fees for each sale, and third-party apps or integrations. Plus, there may be expenses for domain name renewal and costs for marketing and advertising campaigns.
It’s important to consider these ongoing costs alongside the initial development cost.
2. Can I customize the design of my Shopify store?
Yes, Shopify allows for extensive customization of your store’s design. You can choose from numerous pre-designed templates or create a fully custom design from scratch. Additionally, you can customize various elements such as colors, fonts, layouts, and images. So, they match your brand identity and create a unique shopping experience for your customers.
3. Can I migrate my existing e-commerce store to Shopify?
Yes, it is possible to migrate your existing e-commerce store to Shopify. Shopify offers tools and resources to help you seamlessly transfer your products, customer data, and content from platforms like WooCommerce, Magento, or BigCommerce. However, the complexity of the migration process and any required customizations can impact the cost.